REC Solar Panels: The Complete Review
Founded in Norway in 1996, REC Group is the leading European brand for Solar panels and has been providing sustainable and high-performance products, services, and, investments for the solar industry for over 20 years.
From the company’s headquarters in Norway where high-quality panels are developed to its operational facility in Singapore where manufacturing and testing take place, REC has full control throughout the production chain and therefore offers high quality solar panels.
To date, REC has manufactured 30+ million panels amounting to 7.6 GWs of energy and has helped 12 million people make the clean power switch.
Overview of REC’s Solar Panel Characteristics
- Product quality – REC panels undergo stringent internal testing and third-party certifications, due to which the company touts that it has set the industry benchmark for quality.
- Internal testing: REC claims that internal testing standards are three times as severe as industry standards. They are considered to be reliable in extreme environmental conditions.
- Third Party testing: REC panels are recognized as a Top Performer in the DNV-GL Module Reliability Scorecard.
- Anti LID and Anti PID: REC panels avoid power loss due to degradation (LID, PID). With reduced degradation, you can generate more power and can save more money.
- Industry-leading low claims rate: The product quality and reliability are backed by low claims rate – Out of 4 million panels manufactured each year, just 400 might come back as product warranty claims.
REC panels load test
REC panels hail test
- Sustainable productions, sustainable products: REC panels have received many awards and accreditations for their efforts in sustainable productions.
- Solar panel recycling: REC takes effort to ensure its products are durable and recyclable. Check their white paper for more information on REC’s recycling process.
- Low carbon footprint: The most recent study by Deloitte SA Singapore shows that REC panels have a low carbon footprint. In addition, RECs TwinPeak technologies are certified by Certisolis for their class-leading carbon footprint.
- Quick Energy Payback Time
- Bankability – With a steady and sustainable growth, REC is considered a sound investment by many banks, lenders, investors, and end-customers. REC panels are backed by 10, 12, and 20 year product warranties and a 25-year linear power output warranty.
REC Solar Panels Comparison
REC manufactures panels that can be used for residential, commercial and utility purposes. Currently, REC offers panels that fall into below five categories:
- REC N PEAK
- REC TWINPEAK 2 MONO (New!)
- REC TWINPEAK 2
- REC TWINPEAK 2S MONO 72 (New!)
- REC TWINPEAK 2S 72
Let’s look at a detailed description of these five categories…
REC N PEAK
REC N-PEAK series are n-type mono crystalline panels and have 120 half-cut cells, a technology that reduces the power loss. REC N-PEAK panels are suitable for situations that have a limited installation space. These panels can help you to achieve higher power levels with fewer panels and enable you to pack maximum power into a limited space.
This series is ideal for residential and commercial rooftops where space is a challenge.
REC N-PEAK series
Features of REC N-PEAK
- With up to 330 Wp in a 60-cell panel and an efficient cell technology that captures more sunlight, REC N-PEAK is RECs most powerful panel. The panel is split into two identical sections in its unique Twin cell technology due to which energy is produced continuously even when part of the panel is shaded.
- The combination of n-type and PERT technologies in REC N-PEAK series makes the panels more efficient.
- REC N-PEAK series panels have zero LID. Light-Induced Degradation (LID), a loss in power during panels first exposure to sun, is a result of a combination of boron and oxygen in a cell and causes a permanent drop in panels power. But the n-type technology used in these panels stop boron and oxygen from mixing at any level and therefore reduces LID.
- The new frame design comes with extra support bars across the rear of the panel that reduces bending and deformation of the panel under heavy loads. REC N-PEAK series can withstand up to 7000 PA snow load.
REC TWINPEAK 2 MONO
REC TWINPEAK 2 Mono series are p-type monocrystalline panels and have 120 half-cut cells, a technology that reduces the power loss. The innovative design with high panel efficiency and power output enables you to get the most out of the space available for the installation and is ideal for residential, commercial, and utility purposes.
REC TwinPeak 2 Mono Series has five variants depending on their power ratings
REC TWINPEAK 2 MONO
Features of TWINPEAK 2 MONO
- With advanced TWINPEAK technology, these panels can deliver more power per square meter. You can get 25 Wp more power per panel when compared to a standard 60 cell monocrystalline panel.
- The unique twin design enables them to generate electricity even in shaded conditions.
- As they generate more power per square meter, you need fewer panels to generate the same power. This means they are cost efficient with reduced overall costs and payback time.
REC TWINPEAK 2
REC TWINPEAK 2 series are multi-crystalline panels and also have the 120 half-cut cells technology.
REC TwinPeak 2 panels are available in
- A silver or black frame – REC TwinPeak 2 Series (285-300 Wp).
- full-black variant (BLK2) that provides optimal aesthetics with black cells, black frame, and black backsheet – REC TwinPeak 2 BLK2 Series (275-285 Wp).
All TWINPEAK 2 panels
Features of TWINPEAK 2
- The TWINPEAK series panels have four different cell technologies that result in an extra power output of over 12 Watts per module and a class-leading efficiency of up to 17%.
- Half cut cells technology: The TWINPEAK 2 series panels have laser cut polysilicon cells that reduce internal resistance. This results in a higher power, higher efficiency, and increased reliability.
- Passivated Emitter Rear Cell technology (PERC): With PERC technology, the cells can capture more wavelengths of sunlight and delivers higher efficiency.
- Split junction box technology: A junction box is generally a single plastic housing which contains bypass diodes and connection options to link the panel to the rest of the system. ‘Split junction boxes are junction boxes split into three smaller boxes, one per internal string, with one bypass diode. This layout will reduce heat and increases reliability.
- Five bus bars technology: Using five bus bars on a cell decreases the distance for electrons to travel. This improves the current flow and increases efficiency.
- Reduced installation time and other Balance of Systems costs.
- They perform well under 175 mph wind rating with 5600 pa snow load.
- Certifications: IEC 61215, IEC 61730, UL 1703 and JET PVm.
REC TWINPEAK 2S MONO 72
REC N-PEAK 2S 72 MONO series are p-type mono-crystalline panels and have 144 half-cut cells. The 72-cell panels incorporated with TwinPeak technology are bigger in size and delivers higher power output per square meter. This makes them ideal for large-scale solar plants as well as commercial applications.
REC TWINPEAK 2S MONO 72
Features of MSE MONO 72
- The series delivers a power output of 345-watt.
- It comes with an advanced P-Type monocrystalline cell technology
- Certifications – IEC 61215/IEC 61730IEC61701 & UL 1703.
REC TWINPEAK 2S 72
REC N-PEAK 2S 72 series are multi-crystalline panels and have 144 half-cut cells, a technology that reduces the power loss. The 72-cell panels incorporated with TwinPeak technology are bigger in size and delivers higher power output per square meter. This makes them ideal for large-scale solar plants as well as commercial applications.
REC TwinPeak 2 panels are available in a
- REC TwinPeak 2S 72 Series (335-350 Wp)
- REC TwinPeak 72 Series (330-340 Wp)
REC TWINPEAK 2S 72
How REC Solar Panels Compare to Other Solar Makers
The key metrics that you should review while evaluating solar panel quality are Efficiency, Power Rating, Warranty, Temperature Coefficient (Performance), and Price.
Panel efficiency refers to the amount of sunlight that reaches a solar cell that is actually converted into electricity. For conventional silicon-based panels, this falls between 14-22%.
The efficiency of REC depends on the specific model that you choose for your system. Generally, these panels have an efficiency rating of 15.2% to 19.8%.
Among the five series, REC N PEAK gives 19.8% of highest efficiency. If you are looking for a model with the moderate performance and low cost, TWIN PEAK 2 series of 18% efficiency would be the one.
All solar panels receive a nameplate power rating that indicates the amount of power they produce under industry-standard test conditions. Generally, most solar panels on the market have power ratings in the range of 200 to 350 watts. Solar panels with a higher power rating deliver more power.
REC TWINPEAK 2S 72 MONO series delivers a high power of 380W making this model more powerful than other REC panels.
While considering a solar panel brand, it is important to choose a company that provides a reliable warranty. REC provides product warranties of 10-year, 12-year and 20-year depending upon the series. It also provides a 25-year linear warranty on all its products.
Each solar cell technology comes with unique temperature coefficients and has a direct influence on the power output of the PV modules. An increase in the temperature of a solar panel decreases its power output. A
temperature coefficient of -0.5%/deg C indicates that for a one-degree rise in the temperature, the power output from the PV decreases by half of 1%.
REC panels have temperature coefficients ranging from -0.31 to -0.33%/deg C.
The price per watt for REC panels range from $2.87 and $3.05.
Try our competitive bidding platform to choose from a wide range of projects at a better price. A 5 KW system with REC would cost anywhere from $9,730 to $10,675 with the 30 percent federal tax credit for solar.
REC – Solar Panel Products Summary
|Module Series||Module Type||Efficiency (%)||Temperature coefficient %/°C||Weight||Warranty|
|REC N PEAK||REC310NP||18.6||0.31||18 kg (39.7 lbs)||12 year product warranty and 0.5% annual degradation over 25-year power warranty|
|REC TWINPEAK 2 MONO||REC300TP2M||18||0.32||18.5 Kg (40.8 lbs)||20 year product warranty and 0.7% annual degradation over 25-year power warranty|
|REC TWINPEAK 2||REC275TP2||16.5||0.33||18.5 Kg (40.8 lbs)||10 year product warranty and 0.7% annual degradation over 25-year power warranty|
|REC TWINPEAK 2S 72 MONO||REC360TP2SM 72||17.9||0.32||22 Kg (48.5 lbs)||20 year product warranty and 0.5% annual degradation over 25-year power warranty|
|REC TWINPEAK 2S 72||REC330TP2S 72||16.5||0.33||22 Kg (48.5 lbs)||10 year product warranty and 0.7% annual degradation over 25-year power warranty|
Is REC Right for You?
REC Group has a wide range of good quality solar panels. The best way to choose a correct panel that fits your requirement is to review multiple quotes with different solar equipment options.
You can compare all your options on Solar.coms Marketplace, youll find the right combination of price and quality that meets your needs.
Also, review our guide on the best solar panels to understand the key metrics you should use to compare solar modules against one another.