Free Home Energy Improvements from Los Angeles DWP
The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power will work with eligible customers to upgrade their home electricity and water efficiency for free. Does it sound too good to be true? The Home Energy Improvement program, which debuted in 2016, is a little known hidden gem!
Qualifying LADWP customers can also receive a new Energy Star fridge for free through the utility’s Refrigerator Exchange program. However, both of these programs are run on a first come first serve basis so don’t wait to take advantage of free home improvements!
Home Energy Improvement Program
In an effort to reduce energy and water usage among its customers, LADWP is offering free home upgrades to qualifying households! In addition to reducing your LADWP bill, these upgrades can also add resale value to your home and help reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
It’s a pretty simple process, too. Here’s how the program works:
- Complete the short, one-page application – just make sure to have your LADWP account number on hand. Renters should note that they must have the owner sign the application before mailing it to LADWP.
- After successfully filling out the application, a trained technician will schedule a visit to assess your home and identify cost-effective, energy efficient improvements.
- After discussing the solutions with you, a repair specialist or team of specialists will complete the work as well as a quality assurance review.
Window Air Conditioner Recycling Program
Older window air conditioner units are often heavily energy inefficient. In fact, replacing an old system with a new air conditioner can lower energy bills by up to $240 per year! LADWP customers who recycle their old air conditioners may be eligible for a $25 rebate gift card, in addition to $50 off a new energy-efficient unit purchased through the utility’s Efficient Product Marketplace. You can claim these great savings by attending an LADWP drop-off event with your:
- Most recent LADWP bill
- California State ID or Driver’s License
- Proof of ownership of the air conditioning unit
- Old, functioning, plug-in type air conditioner
Additionally, if you also retire your qualifying refrigerator at the same time, the Appliance Recycling Centers of America will pick up your air conditioning unit at your home for free if you qualify for LADWP’s Refrigerator Recycling Program.
Refrigerator Exchange Program
In addition to recycling old fridges, LADWP is also offering to exchange qualifying older refrigerators for new Energy Star rated refrigerators. This free program reduces electricity usage – saving you an estimated $60 annually on your electric bills – and gifts you a gorgeous new kitchen appliance.
Qualifying Fridges Must Be:
- At least ten years old
- Plugged into a properly grounded outlet
- At least 14 cubic feet
- Owned by the organization or recipient
- Still functioning & used as the primary fridge (ie not in storage)
In addition to Non-Profit Customers, qualifying applicants must either be:
- Low-Income Discount of Lifeline Rate Program participants
- Multi-residential (at least 50% of the residents must be income-qualified)
- Mobile home community members
For more information on how to apply, check out the Refrigerator Exchange Program’s website! Also, be sure to subscribe to our blog to stay up to date on all the latest rebate and incentive programs.